I have not posted in a while, but that is because I have not been making new recipes recently. We have so many great recipes on this site, and I had fallen into a trap of cooking the same 4 or 5 things because they are so tasty. Yesterday I decided to browse my list of “to make” recipes and came across one that for months I kept meaning to make. When it came down to buying the ingredients, it always just looked a little too healthy. Since the holidays are around the corner, I thought it best to start getting the health in now. This is a recipe for mushroom and leek wild rice I saw on Closet Cooking, with my own tweaks. It is so tasty and surprisingly filling. It reminds me of a healthier version of my mushroom and leek risotto recipe! I highly recommend making this. I served the rice over a bed of baby greens and added a couple slices of skirt steak for extra protein (quickly marinated in a soy, garlic, onion, sugar mixture and grilled).
Wild rice takes longer to cook then regular rice so start it first! The mushroom, leek, herb, rice mixture is tossed with balsamic vinaigrette. Feel free to use your favorite recipe, I wrote down a standard one below.– ts
1 cup wild rice
2 cups chicken broth
1 tablespoon butter
1 tablespoon oil
2 – 3 leeks green and white parts cleaned and sliced
2 cloves garlic
8- 10 ounces mushrooms (sliced) – I used a mix of cremini, shiitake and oyster
1 teaspoon thyme (chopped)
salt and pepper to taste
a large handful chopped pecans
about a 1/4 cup balsamic vinaigrette (recipe below)
- Simmer the wild rice in the broth on medium-low heat, covered, until it is tender and it has absorbed all of the broth, about 50-60 minutes and remove from heat. Drain excess liquids.
- Heat the oil and melt the butter in a large dutch oven/pan.
- Add the leeks and saute until tender, about 10 minutes.
- Add the garlic and saute until fragrant, about a minute.
- Add the mushrooms, thyme, salt and pepper and saute until the mushrooms are just starting to caramelize, about 10-15 minutes.
- Mix the wild rice, mushrooms, pecans and balsamic vinaigrette
1/4 cup extra virgin olive oil
1 tablespoon Dijon mustard
1 teaspoon honey
1-2 large cloves garlic minced
1/4 teaspoon salt
1/4 teaspoon pepper