Apparently it’s Bacon Day here at Nummy Num Num, and as days go, that’s not too shabby. The Chef likes to serve this with steak, and I’d like to suggest the Coffee Rubbed variety for your noshing pleasure.
8 bacon slices, chopped
3/4 cup of mayo
2 tbsp red wine vinegar
1 tbsp honey
16 oz coleslaw mix (cabbage)
1 cup crumbled blue cheese
salt and pepper
- Cook bacon in a large skillet until crisp. Transfer bacon to paper towels to drain.
- Whisk honey, vinegar, and mayo in a large bowl.
- Stir in slaw mix, cheese, and bacon. Season with salt and pepper and toss to coat. Cover and chill for up to 2 hours until ready to serve.
I hate red onions. I love pickled things. By all accounts, this dish should break even at best. It does SO much more. These were without a doubt the highlight of The Chef’s birthday meal (and, of course, one of the parts he prepared himself).
They have the perfect crisp, salty, spicy bite, and I have no doubt they’re fantastic on everything. Barrett likes to use them on tacos, sandwiches, burgers or anything braised. I like to eat them straight.
2 red onions sliced very thin
12 oz of red wine vinegar
couple squirts of honey
salt and pepper to taste
- Heat vinegar, honey, salt, and pepper.
- Once warm, pour over sliced red onions.
- Cool and refrigerate until ready to use.
I think these are even better a few days later, so keep your hands off for a while. If you can.