It is no secret that I love beets. I once did a beta carotene only diet with my roommate. We lasted about 48 hours until we read that your skin can turn orange. Prune restaurant in NYC is one of the best and definitely in my top 5 restaurants in NYC. If you live there or are visiting you must go for dinner or brunch. The bone marrow will amaze you. It is also located on my favorite intersection in NYC (aka nexus of the universe) 1st and 1st. Anyways back to the beets, I think beets simply roasted with olive oil add cheese and nuts is always a tasty treat. However, Prune serves their beets with this amazing aioli sauce and the beet greens. I finally got my hands on the recipe. ENJOY! – ts
16–20 small (not baby) beets with greens attached
1 tbsp. extra-virgin olive oil
Freshly ground black pepper
3 cloves garlic, peeled and minced
1 tsp. dijon mustard
1 egg yolk, at room temperature
3 tbsp. fresh lemon juice
1/2 cup vegetable oil
1/2 cup mild olive oil
- Preheat oven to 350°. Cut greens off beets, leaving 2″ of the stalks attached to beets. Wash greens and beets and set aside separately.
- Roast beets in oven (using method at right) until soft, about 1 hour. Unwrap beets and set aside to cool, then peel.
- Meanwhile, cook beet greens in a medium pot of boiling salted water over high heat until tender, about 5 minutes. Drain, squeezing out excess water, and put into a bowl. Toss with extra-virgin olive oil and salt and pepper to taste. Set aside to cool.
- To serve, spoon some of the aïoli (recipe below) onto 4 small plates, then divide greens and beets between plates, putting greens on top of aïoli and beets on top of greens. Season to taste with salt and pepper.
- Put garlic, mustard, and 1 tsp. salt into a medium bowl and use the back of a wooden spoon to crush them into a paste.
- Add egg yolk and whisk until pale.
- Add lemon juice and whisk until frothy.
- Gradually add vegetable oil, and olive oil, in slow steady streams, whisking constantly, until oils are incorporated and mixture is emulsified. Adjust seasonings.