We made these tacos last week for Barrett’s birthday, and they were devoured so quickly that Mr. Robert-Pickles-Schmidt couldn’t even scrape together a taco when he arrived an hour late. Despite the concerns of Chavandra – the butcher at our friendly neighborhood Kroger – who asked me “gurrrl, are you sho’ brizkit tacos is somethin’ you wanna make?”, it definitely is.
The coffee rub gives it a deep, spicy richness. Top it with the Ridiculously Perfect Pickled Red Onions, Spicy Southwestern Slaw, and crumbled queso fresca and you’ve got a meal that will make yo’ mama proud. And Chavandra too.
1/2 cup paprika
1/2 cup salt
1/2 cup black pepper
1/2 ground coffee
- Preheat oven to 325 degrees.
- Mix together coffee rub ingredients and coat brisket liberally. (This can be done as far as 24 hours in advance.)
- Put brisket in a roasting pan or deep baking tray and add 1.5 inches of water.
- Cover and bake for 5.5 hours or until brisket falls apart easily.
- Place brisket on cutting board and let stand for 10-15 minutes before chopping and serving.
- Pour pan sauce into a serving dish and spoon over tacos. (Sauce will thicken and become concentrated and delicious while the brisket cooks.)
- Enjoy the compliments. These make upscale taco shop fare look like child’s play.