This recipe works well as a side dish to anything and is great to serve at parties. I was craving Potato Leek soup one cold NYC night (not the norm craving for me), and I was too lazy to bring out the blender. I decided to take the ingredients and make a casserole! It turned out well, and I have been using this recipe every since. -ts
3-4 large leeks cleaned and chopped
5-7 small yukon gold potatoes
cream (or milk)
three tablespoons butter
1/2 cup water or broth
1 small minced garlic clove
juice of less then half a lemon
- Preheat oven 400 degrees. Melt butter in pan, add chopped leeks with garlic, salt and pepper to season on medium heat; Cook about 5-10 mins (until butter is absorbed)
- Add broth (water) bring to boil and cook until almost gone; add cream (not too much), cook for about 20 mins on lower heat.
- While leeks are cooking, boil salted water and cook potatoes until almost tender, about 10 mins. Allow to cool and slice thin.
- When leeks are almost done, add lemon juice. If mixture is still dry add more cream and perhaps a little more water if you don’t like super creamy but need more liquid. After everything is finished, in a well buttered baking dish add half leek mixture in the pan, add layers of sliced potatoes salt pepper grated cheese, and then again leek mixture, pots, salt pepper cheese.
- Cook in oven for about 25-30 mins.