Chef says: “This stuff is amazing. It’s great on a fried egg sandwich, grilled fish, and even bratwursts. Maybe even on hot dogs?” To that I say a resounding YES. Nothing is bad on top of a hot dog. It’s a HOT DOG for goodness sake. And now I know what I’ll be topping mine with next time.
1 tablespoon olive oil
1/2 small red onion, small dice
2 garlic cloves, minced
salt to taste
1 red bell peppers, cored, seeded, and finely diced
2 jalapenos, seeded and diced
1 tablespoon coriander seeds, toasted
1/2 cup packed brown sugar
1/2 white wine vinegar
1/2 cup chopped cilantro
1/2 cup fresh OJ
- Heat a medium saucepan over medium low heat and add olive oil.
- Add onion, garlic, and a pinch of salt and cook until it becomes slightly softened. Add bell peppers and jalapenos and cook for 2 more minutes. Add coriander seeds and cook for another 30 seconds.
- Add the sugar and vinegar and cook., stirring, until the sugar is dissolves.
- Add the orange juice and simmer, stirring occasionally, until the liquid completely reduces, about 10 minutes.
- Remove from heat and allow relish to cool to room temperature. Season with salt and fold in cilantro. Refrigerate for up to 1 month.