Clearly I will need to try out the Chef’s mussel recipe STAT with Sake naturally to get rowdy. Here is my mussel recipe which incorporates rice in the dish. I serve with a baguette and mesclun salad on side. Unlike RipleyPickles, I am a nerd and tend to photograph my food, see attached picture. -ts
1 large onion
minced 4 stalks lemongrass
white part only, finely minced
1 tablespoon minced garlic
2 cups sushi rice
1 cup white wine
2 cups chicken stock
2 pounds PEI mussels, scrubbed
1/2 bunch parsley, chopped, for garnish
1 lemon, wedged
Kosher salt and freshly ground black pepper to taste
Olive oil to cook
- Lightly coat a large paella pan (dutch oven or large pot will work too) over medium-high heat with olive oil and add onion, lemongrass and garlic and sauté until soft
- Season with salt and pepper. Add rice and sauté, coating thoroughly with the aromatics.
- Deglaze with white wine and reduce by half; add stock and season.
- Stir the rice, check again for flavor.
- Add the mussels, stir again, cover and simmer on low heat, about 25 minutes until rice is cooked through.
- Discard any unopened mussels.
- Squeeze some lemon juice. Serve family style in pan, garnished with chopped parsley and lemon wedges.