I’m not usually a fan of beans in general, but all these fixins make for a tasty delight. Plus Carol’s directions included the line “hot and bubbly” and who among us would not want to eat something like that? Or even just be called that for that matter. If I ever become famous enough to create a self-indulgent perfume line, you better believe that will be its name.
1 15 oz. can of black beans
1 tablespoon chopped fresh jalapeno pepper
1-2 spring unions*, chopped (Carol usually adds more)
¼ cup of sour cream
½ teaspoon of salt
2 tablespoons of salsa (or Rotel with a little bit of juice)
1 ¼ cups of grated Monterey Jack cheese or mild cheddar cheese
freshly ground pepper
- Preheat oven to 350.
- Drain beans and discard juice
- Mash beans with a fork, leaving some chunks. (do not use food processor)
- Add remaining ingredients, reserving a ¼ cup of cheese
- Pour into a one quart baking dish and sprinkle with remaining cheese. (You can do everything up to this point and then refrigerate until party time if you’re the planny type.)
- Add tomato and bake for 20-30 minutes or until hot and bubbly!
* I left this in the ingredient list because I love that Carol spelled “onion” that way. It’s so krunk. She’s like a rapper. Oh and a spring onion is a fancy word for scallion which is a fancy word for green onions. That clear everything up? Great.