The soy-coffee-worcestershire combo is as tasty as it is surprising. Serve this up with Barrett’s Best Mashed Potatoes – the goat cheese version sounds like a good match to me – and you’ve got a perfectly updated version of an American classic.
3-5 pound sirloin (you can also use flank or filet)
1 cup strong coffee
3/4 cup soy sauce
1 tbsp Worcestershire
1 tbsp vinegar
1 large onion, chopped
- Mix all ingredients except sirloin and tenderizer.
- Apply tenderizer to the steak and pour mixture over steak.
- Marinate, turning every few hours at room temperature up to 4 hours (or marinate in fridge up to 24 hours).
- Grill steak until medium-rare. (You can also bake, pan-sear, or broil the steaks if you prefer.)
- While steak rests bring marinade and onions to a boil.
- Slice steak and top with onion sauce. Reserve some for drinking if you are a non-recovering salt addict like myself.